YOU can nominate your fave money blogs for an award.
Nominations are have opened for our seventh annual SHOMO awards. As with last year, the award ceremony is likely to be digital – but you never know!
If you’re a money blogger, the SHOMOs are your chance to get some recognition. Most blogging awards put all money bloggers together – if they’re not lumped into a lifestyle category – but the SHOMOs give us a chance to celebrate our specialisms, and showcase the breadth of topics we write about.
We’ve a couple of new categories this year, including more awards to recognise social media and influencers. Here’s the full list
- People’s choice award
- Best new money blog
- Best money saving blog
- Best money making blog
- Best diverse community money blog or channel
- UKMB community award
- Best personal finance blog
- Best specialist finance blog
- Best investing blog
- Best frugal & thrift blog
- Best lifestyle & money blog
- Best family finances blog
- Best money podcaster
- Best money YouTuber
- Best money Instagram or TikTok
- Best money Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn
- Best new money influencer (all platforms)
The shortlists will be announced later this year.
How to nominate
All awards are open for public nominations except UKMB Community Award (shortlisted by the SHOMOs committee), Best Money Influencer (chosen from shortlists of the other social categories) and People’s Choice (all nominated blogs will be in the running)
For the remaining categories, nominations close
8th 27th September 2021.
Just fill in the nomination form at the bottom of the page by entering the web address of the blog you think should win the category.
You can nominate your own blog. You don’t need to enter a nomination for each category.
IMPORTANT: The number of people who nominate you WON’T be taken into account. This means there is no need to ask people to nominate you. In fact, please don’t do this as it just makes the admin a headache.
Depending on the number of entries in each category, a shortlisting process may be undertaken to produce a list of finalists.
- For the purposes of the SHOMOs, a blog is a written article which reflects or shares the writer’s experiences or expertise.
- Only posts published between September 1st 2020 and August 31st 2021 are eligible.
- Best New Blog and Best New Influencer have a slightly longer period of June 1st 2020 to August 31st 2021.
- For specialist categories there must be at least 10 relevant blog posts relating to the relevant category (e.g. 10 posts on making money for Best Money Making Blog) written by the blog owner (i.e. not guest bloggers) in the eligibility period.
- The blog, video, podcast or social channel must have published content in at least 10 of the 12 months in this period.
- The SHOMOs are for independent bloggers, content creators and podcasters. An independent blog, channel or podcast is classed as:
- A blog, YouTube, social channel or podcast created from scratch and run by an individual or individuals
- Not owned or part-owned by a larger corporation, brand or company
- Video, podcasts and social media are recognised in their own categories
- UKMB does not support payday lenders or match betting and content related to this will not be considered by the judges.
- Spelling errors on the nomination form, or failure to enter the correct URL could mean the entry is not counted.
- Eligibility is at the organisers’ discretion.
More on each category:
Nominees must have produced content in at least 10 of the last 12 months to be eligible.
All the nominated blogs will be automatically be entered into the People’s choice award. Readers will then get to vote for the blog which they love the most!
Best new blog
One for the newbies. As long as the blog is about money and was started between June 2020 and September 2021 is in with a chance.
Best money saving blog
Who posts the articles that help you spend less? Let us know your nomination for the site that regularly cuts your costs through tips, deals, competitions, coupons or freebies.
Best money making blog
Who has the tricks and tips to boost your budget? Blogs which primarily focus on Matched betting instead of other side hustles will not be considered, so please don’t nominate them.
Best diverse community money content
This new category for 2021 looks at blogs and channels which are championing money for specific groups, often those marginalised from traditional content. Example content that nominees could be focused on include gender, disablility, race, sexuality, age and religion.
UKMB Community award
Recognising the community member who’s made an impact and helped others in the last year.
Remember these categories need at least 10 posts in the last 12 months on these topics to be eligible.
Best personal finance blog
These bloggers should know their stuff – and help you make decisions when saving and managing money, covering topics such as banking, bills, credit cards and savings.
Best investing blog
Who’s helped you make the big decisions on investing your money?
Best specialist finance blog
This award celebrates the blogs that provide insight and support to a specific financial area. Relevant areas include debt, pensions, financial independence, consumer rights, tax, benefits and ethical money.
Best frugal & thrift blog
One for the blogs that help you spend as little as possible. Nominate the blogger who helps readers get by with thrifty tricks and frugal tips.
Best lifestyle and money blog
Another that recognises money bloggers devoted to nice topics such as food, the environment, comping, travel, technology or beauty. Who’s cornered the market in money blogging for a specific lifestyle audience?
Best family finances blog
Family finances are a popular topic for readers. Nominate the blog which helps you make the most of your budget while raising kids.
Nominees must have produced original content in 10 of the last 12 months to be eligble.
Best money podcaster
Here we’re looking for the money and finance podcasts you can’t stop listening to. Again, it’s the independents we’re looking for here – and there are plenty to chose from.
Best money YouTuber
We’re looking to find the person who makes the biggest difference to your finances via video on YouTube.
Best money Instagram & TikTok
Influencers are making a huge impact on Instagram and TikTok, but who’s best?
Best money Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn
The original super social platforms can still reach a huge number of people and help them with their finances. Nominate the groups, pages and accounts which you think deserve recognition.
Best new money influencer
Recognising the social media influencers who started since June 2020.
Now, get nominating! Remember nominations close 8th September 2021.
And once again… please don’t ask people to nominate you. Multiple nominations for the same category make zero difference.